Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Friday, August 27, 2010

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

It’s Friday, and since I haven’t put up a Friday Random Ten in a while, I thought - why not?

Why not, indeed.

Even after all this time, you know the routine: I post ten randomly-selected cuts from the Little White Choon-Box, occasionally with lyrics or useless commentary. Perhaps, in this manner, you will be inspired to augment your own Musical Library... or to scratch your head in wonderment at the bizarre crap I listen to.

What’s playing this week? Let’s take a look:
  1. Helmi Otsalla - Alamaailman Vasarat

    The best Finnish alternative band you never heard in your life.

  2. Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra

  3. Illegal Smile (Live) - John Prine

    When I woke up this morning,
    Things were lookin’ bad
    Seemed like total silence was the only friend I had
    A bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... and won
    And it was twelve o’clock before I realized
    That I was havin’... no fun

    Chorus:
    Ahh, but fortunately I have the key to escape reality
    And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
    It don’t cost very much, but it lasts a long while
    Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone
    No, I'm just tryin’ to have me some fun

    Well, last time I checked my bankroll,
    It was gettin’ thin
    Sometimes it seems like the bottom
    Is the only place I’ve been
    I chased a rainbow down a one-way street... dead end
    And all my friends turned out
    To be insurance... salesmen

    (Repeat Chorus)

    Well, I sat down in my closet with all my overalls
    Tryin’ to get away
    From all the ears inside my walls
    I dreamed the police heard
    Everything I thought... what then?
    Well I went to court
    And the judge’s name was... Hoffman

    Ah, but fortunately I have the key to escape reality
    And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
    It don’t cost very much, but it lasts a long while
    Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone
    No, I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun
    Well done, hot dog bun, my sister’s a nun


  4. Demons - Fatboy Slim

  5. A Night in Tunisia - Dizzy Gillespie

  6. Just a Gigolo - Louis Prima

  7. Brandenburg - Beirut

  8. Kolomeyke - The Klezmatics

  9. Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box - Radiohead

  10. Windows - Chick Corea

    From the landmark 1966-vintage Inner Space double LP set. I discovered this album as a freshman in college, some four years after its release. Now, here it is 40 years after that and Inner Space still sounds fresh, despite my familiarity with almost every note.

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

... you're welcome for the Prine tune, sir..... I remember torturing with that album on our way back from the funeral in Savannah......

Eric

Claude said...

Listening to Itzhak Perlman this week-end. He is amazing! I wish I knew some of your music. I'm stuck in the 60s.

PQ said...

Snap!
I was listening to John Prine's "Illegal Smiles" on shuffle this morning, and then went back to find "Souvenirs" and "John Stone".

Brought back some memories of the Acidman.