Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

THE GUARDIAN: A 100-WORD STORY

Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague was at his wits’ end.

His people had long borne the brunt of their neighbors’ causeless hatred. Anti-Semitic attacks were on the rise. What the Jews of Prague needed was a protector... and Rabbi Loew, with his knowledge of Kabbalah’s sacred mysteries, knew how to give them one.

The mud he needed, alas, was frozen solid, it being the dead of winter, so the Rabbi turned to the next best thing. Snow lay on the ground in great heaps.

Years later, the children of Prague would sing of the ghetto’s mighty Guardian...

...Frosty the Golem.

3 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Hi Elisson,
just FYI, I've been to Prague and (as a goy) visited the old synagogue to see the actual gravestone of the Golem Rabbi; fascinating story!

I'll dig around in the attic to see if I can find my 35 year old B&W photo & mail it to you if found :-)

Rahel Jaskow said...

Hah! I love it!

BobG said...

Snow is a lot easier to work with than clay.
I'm still trying to picture a snowman wearing a shtreimel...