Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

FROM THE ELISSON ARCHIVES:
FOUND ART IN JAPAN

Hard to believe that it has been over four years since Elder Daughter and I made our memorable ten-day voyage to Japan, innit?  But time flies... or, as Eli (hizzownself) likes to say, Tempus Nudgit.

Once in a while, I will open up the folders wherein reside the photographs I took on that trip... if only to remind myself that it actually happened: it was not a dream.  And with the passage of time, the images seem fresh and new, strange as that may seem.

Here are a few that you haven’t seen before:

Beppu Manhole Cover
Beppu - Square Manhole Cover
Manhole covers in Beppu.

Manhole covers are an indigenous art form uniquely Japanese in the same way that comic books and jazz are uniquely American.  Apparently, I’m not the only one who thinks so: An entire book, Drainspotting, has been written on the topic.

Geisha Poster - Kyoto  
Poster advertising a geisha-related art exhibition from the Gion district, Kyoto.

Hiroshima Tulips  
Tulips in Hiroshima... so bright, they practically glow in the dark.

There’s beauty everywhere you look, but when you’re in an exotic foreign locale, it seems to strike you with just a little more force.

1 comment:

Elisson said...

Normally I would delete a spammy robo-comment like the one above, but it's so chock-full of useless (but interesting) information, I'll give it a pass.

And besides, who knows but that one of my Esteemed Readers might be in the market for a few manhole covers - made in India, no less?