Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

DECEMBER GUILD EVENT

Champagne Corks

I don’t know how I managed it, but I have managed to go a full three months without attending a Sommelier Guild event... and that one was a white wine-themed evening, at that.  But that will change tonight at six, when She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will pack ourselves off to Local Three for an evening of Drinky Enjoyment.

It’s the Guild’s annual Champagne Event, which means little plates of food interspersed with a whole lotta excellent sparkling wines.  Here’s the Bill of Fare:

Speaker’s Wine:
2008 Argyle Brut - Oregon*

First Flight:
2010 Wolf Mountain Brut Blanc de Blancs - Georgia
2009 Schramsberg Brut Blanc de Blancs - North Coast, California*
NV Ruinart Brut Blanc de Blancs Champagne - France***

Joe’s Lobster Roll: Mayo, Lemon and Celery

Second Flight: 
NV Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne - France***
NV Duval-Le Roy Brut Champagne - France***
NV Gossett “Excellence” Brut Champagne - France**

Steamed Prince Edward Island Mussels: Chorizo, Potato, Tomato, Garlic, Baguette, Rouille

Third Flight:
NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs - New Mexico
NV Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs - Carneros, California**
2008 Schramsberg Brut Blanc de Noirs - North Coast, California**

Charcuterie Sampler: Cornichons, Violet Mustard, EVOO, and Flatbread

Dessert:
NV Maschio dei Cavalieri Moscato PM - Puglia, Italy

Spiced Pumpkin Tart

Per my usual practice, I’ll post my carefully considered opinions once the Missus and I have had a chance to dry out. Cheers!

Update:  Excellent dishes, and a few interesting wines - nothing that really knocked our socks off, though.  Delightful - and occasionally ribald - dinner conversation nevertheless more than made up for any perceived shortcomings in the wines.  When can we do this again?

No comments: