Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

SMILE: A 100-WORD STORY

Haji was critically ill when I was summoned by his family.

Although I’m no doctor, I can see the Angel of Death. People call me in to find out whether sick relatives will die or not. The villagers have tested me many times; my predictions have never been wrong.

The Angel always comes alone, yet never departs alone.

When I reached Haji’s bedside, he was already there, a smile on his face.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever seen you smile,” I observed.

The Angel replied, “I smile only for those who go with me... and it’s not Haji’s turn.”

[This is a guest post by Mubashir Zaidi, a TV news producer based in Karachi.  His new collection of short-short stories, Namak Paaray, was released on May 1... about which more later.] 

1 comment:

Houston Steve said...

I think you expressed it well in your note to me in response to different item from the subcontinent:

Ow.

Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow.