Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Monday, April 27, 2015

APRIL GUILD EVENT

It has been several months since I’ve attended a Sommelier Guild event: This evening marks the first one since September. That’s an unprecedented streak of non-guildly behavior, alas, the result of either bad timing or restaurant selections that did not inspire me to part with my hard-earned simoleons.

But now we’re in familiar waters with an evening at Goldfish, over at Perimeter, and the (seasonally appropriate) theme of the evening is spring whites and reds.

Now, those Esteemed Readers who know me also know that whites are generally not my wines of choice. But I will put up with them in order to get to the reds that I crave. Now: what’s for dinner and drinkage?

Reception
2013 Mittelbach Rosé of Zweigelt - Austria

First Flight
NV Baron-Fuenté Brut Grande Réserve Champagne*

Fried oysters, tartar sauce

Second Flight
2012 Ancient Oak Chardonnay Russian River (Greg La Folliette, winemaker)
2011 Louis Michel Chablis Premier Cru Montée de Tonnerre*
or
2012 Louis Michel Chablis Premier Cru Montée de Tonnerre**
2009 Pegasus Bay Chardonnay New Zealand***

Crab cake, frisée, avocado, citrus salad, cilantro

Third Flight
2010 Produccions A Modino San Clodio
2000 Tardieu-Laurent Vacqueyras Vieilles Vignes**

Gulf shrimp and grits, andouille sausage, spinach, tomatoes, garlic cream

Fourth Flight
2012 Arietta Quartet**
2011 Woodward Canyon Artist Series***
2010 Buoncristiani OPC***

Filet mignon, gnocchi, broccoli, and mushrooms

Dessert
2012 Chapoutier Banyuls*

Molten Center Chocolate Lava Cake

Lagniappe
2007 Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc*

Per my usual practice, I’ll let you know what I think of the various wines and foodly items. You never know what you might discover!

Update:
The food was tasty enough, aside from the not-quite-molten center chocolate lava cake - and the wine offerings improved as the evening progressed. Strangely, the whites - with the sole exception of the Champagne - were served at room temperature. I’m guessing it was a restaurant screw-up, but it’s one that should have easily been corrected.

Most people like their white wines chilled. Serving them right out of the ice bucket isn’t ideal, since it mutes their flavors. Nevertheless, something a bit lower than the cellar temperature (62-68°F) that’s optimum for most reds is what to shoot for. 49-55°F is in the right ballpark.

Thank Gawd I prefer red wines. I’m just sayin’.

No comments: